Monday, February 8, 2010

Ambulator nascitur, non fit.

It means "Walkers are born, not made".

About a year ago, I visited Maldonia for a few weeks. It was beautiful! One of the things that really surprised me about it, though, was how little people looked around. My first stop on my tour of Maldonia was the town of Ralhontus. Ralhontus has about ten thousand people in it, most of whom live within a ten minute walk of the esplanade. After stealing some food for the night, I took a rooftop tour of the town. Near a small bakery I met a young guy named Tas. I talked to him for a while, trying to learn a little about the surrounding area. You see, Ralhontus is about ten miles inland, along the Deniz river. On either side of the town are large hills spotted with what appeared to be castle ruins. I hadn't heard anything about castles from the traders in the Agrabah market, so I tried to find out a little about them from Tas. It turns out, Tas, who must have been in his early twenties, had never been outside of the town limits. Never! How is this possible? I asked myself. Where do you go for fun? I asked Tas. He didn't really have a good answer. You know, my friends' house. The esplanade. Boring places. There was all this gigantourous beauty around the town, and Tas had never even seen it!

So that brings me to my main point. Do you appreciate what's around you? Not the city you live in, that's probably not that significant. No, I mean the environment you live in. Have you found your inner tree hugger? Here's what I suggest. Get on your carpet, or in your car, or your camel, or your boat, or however you move around, and go. Find a big, open, unadulterated wilderness, and spend a day (not a few hours, I mean a full day) out there. Don't bring your cell, or your GPS, or your iPod or your PDA, or whatever. Be a walker, not a wire. Live.

No comments:

Post a Comment